Waverly Orthodontics Expert Answers: What Is a Malocclusion?
Our Waverly Orthodontics Expert Discusses Crooked Teeth
If you or your child has already had an evaluation with your Waverly orthodontics expert, then you might have heard the word “malocclusion.” This orthodontic issue is a common reason for children and adults to receive braces or Invisalign treatment. What exactly IS a malocclusion, though? Our Waverly orthodontist is here to explain!
What Is a Malocclusion?
To understand what a malocclusion is, it helps to break the word down into its two key parts:
- “mal-“ – The prefix “mal-” comes from Latin and means “bad” or “wrong.”
- “occlusion” – The word “occlusion” is a fancy orthodontic term that simply means “straight teeth.”
When you put the two parts together – mal-occlusion – you end up with a term that means “bad straight teeth,” aka teeth that don’t meet up the way they’re supposed to when you bite down.
Not All Malocclusions Are Equally Bad – Our Orthodontist Explains
There is a wide spectrum of malocclusions that can vary in their severity. There are two key questions you should ask your Waverly orthodontics team if you’ve been told you have a malocclusion.
What TYPE of Malocclusion Do You Have?
Do you have an overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite? The type of treatment recommended by your orthodontist will depend on the answer to this question.
What CLASS of Malocclusion Do You Have?
Your class of malocclusion mainly refers to how severe it is. There are three classes:
- Class I – A small degree of overbite, where your top teeth slightly overlap your bottom teeth. This is the most common class seen by orthodontists and can typically be treated with braces or Invisalign.
- Class II – A severe overbite, which orthodontists also refer to as a “retrognathic malocclusion.”
- Class III – A severe underbite, where your bottom teeth extend further out than your top teeth. This class is also called a “prognathic malocclusion.”
Call Our Waverly Orthodontics Team at Muench Orthodontics to Learn More
Do you believe you or your child suffers from a malocclusion such as an overbite or underbite? Our experienced orthodontics team in Waverly, NY, can help! Call us today for a comprehensive exam and consultation with our 5-star-rated orthodontist.
The information in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other topics related to orthodontics, contact Muench Orthodontics, with a convenient location near Waverly, NY, by calling 607.785.3005 or clicking here.